MTN, has again expanded data services in Nigeria with the introduction of ‘ MTN Mifi ’ enabled device. The expansion will allow share subscription on multiple devices simultaneously.
Specifically, the ‘Mifi’, according to MTN Nigeria, allow subscribers to enjoy connectivity at a radius of 10 meters on five different devices, such as the Laptop, mobile phones, galaxy tabs, Ipad and Blackberry.
Explaining the functionality in Lagos on Monday, MTN’s Value Added Service manager, Olabisi Oshinaike who said the effort was in partnership with Huawei, stressed that, the firm also aimed at using the technology to boost customers experience via the data services.
Olabisi explained that in advance market, there were convergence, “We are moving towards that level but we still need infrastructure upgrade to achieve that in Nigeria.”
According to her, “connect to the USB hub on the Laptop, get sufficient credits, connect by putting the access code and repeat same code on other devices, the connection comes up, and you can start to enjoy the service.”
For devices without a hub, “All you need to is to perform the connection process on the device, do the same on pair devices and you are connected. The beauty of this is that, it is portable; can be used on the go and able to fill a lot of gaps among others for Internet users.”
MTN MiFi is a portable WiFi device that allows users connect up to five WiFi enabled devices such as Laptops, Tablets, Phones and other such devices simultaneously to the internet.
All a customer requires is one data subscription on the MiFi device, with which he/she can connect the WiFi enabled devices to the internet.
This creates a richer browsing experience, as well as amazing cost savings that represent the True Value MTN is synonymous with.
MTN Mi-Fi works at a distance of up to 10m or 30 ft
How to use the MTN MiFi Device
- Insert your SIM Card via the SIM card slot entrance at the back of your MiFi device.
- Connect the MiFi to a PC with the compatible data cable inside the pack
- Power on the MiFi by pressing and holding the power button until the light comes on.
- The modem is ‘’plug and play’’ and will auto install upon powering it on. However if the auto install does not work, simply double click the setup icon in the MiFi folder from your computer and wait for the software to install.
The MTN MiFi can be used in USB mode (connected to your PC) or WiFi mode (connecting up to 5 WiFi enabled devices).
Using the MTN MiFi in USB mode
- Once installation is completed successfully, launch the MTN MiFi from the icon on your desktop to open the MTN MiFi user interface. (If you’re having problems loading the page, check your browser proxy settings; be sure to select “Automatically detect settings”)
- Once the user interface is launched, type the Login Password: default password is admin (you are advised to change this password for security reasons).
- Recharge and activate any Data plan from the Subscription page on the Interface. You can also send the appropriate keyword by SMS, to activate a Data plan.
- Once you receive the sms confirmation for your data plan, you can launch a browser and connect to the Internet.
Using the MTN MiFi in Wireless (Wi-Fi) mode
After you have successfully activated a data bundle using the MTN MiFi user interface, you can connect up to 5 WiFi capable devices simultaneously to the internet.
- Ensure your MiFi device is powered on (press and hold the power button until the light comes on).
- Turn on Wi-Fi on your computer or device and search for available wireless networks, then select & connect to the MTN MiFi E5830S (Password/key is printed behind the device).
Note that you can modify the display device name (SSID) from the admin interface.
After you establish a Wi-Fi connection successfully, you can start browsing the internet.
Refer to the user guide manual for more information on how to manage the modem in WiFi mode
How to activate the free MTN MIFI Bundle
- Launch the MTN MiFi icon from your computer or start your Internet browser and enter http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
- Type the Login Password: default password is admin (you are advised to change this password to prevent for security reasons).
- Click on SMS at the top of the screen and send an SMS with keyword MIFI to 131.
- You will receive an acknowledge SMS confirming you now have 5GB of data, valid for 1 month.
- Now you can connect to the Internet.